Potato Salad by Smitten Kitchen
Potato salad is probably a popular go-to dish for a pot luck dinner party. It's hard to mess up and most people like it. If I'm opting to bring a side salad, potato salad allows for lowering the risk of having two leafy salads as there's always someone who tries to sneak in the 'healthy' to a pot luck.
I have another potato salad recipe that I really love but I opted for this one today. Smitten Kitchen is my cooking fairy blog mother and I didn't want to pass up a great excuse to try out one of her recipes.
- I used 4lb of potatoes instead of 3lb like the recipe
- BUT I did not increase the dressing at all and it still worked great!
- I added a tablespoon of sugar to the dressing
- I completely eliminated dills cuz...I didn't have any but would love to try it out next time
- I used four eggs instead of three to match the potatoes. I would not have minded adding a bit more actually
- I did added ground pepper at the end - this is a must.
Reminders & Tips:
- Red onions have a pretty strong flavor so you can soak them in ice water for about 15 minutes to tame the strong flavor a bit.
- Putting the salad together is pretty easy & quick. Just remember to budget in the time for the boiled potatoes to cool to your cooking time, especially if you're making this on a tight schedule.