Saturday, December 5, 2009

Wicked Chocolate Brownies

Hello.  How have you been?
I'm great.  A bit busy but fantastic.  You know why I'm great?  I have two weeks until my summer vacation starts.  Oh~ Yeah~~~~ :)  If I may, I do have a grumble, though.  The weather is totally playing mind games with me.  It's like summer is playing babyish peek-a-boo, ya know?  I'm over it.  But what can I do?  I can't force it out of its peek-a-boo state.  I just have to be patient and let it come when it's ready.  But I know when it does come, it's going to be fantastic. 

I've realised that I talk about weather a lot here.  They say, that one of the best small talk topics is weather.  Small talk = Convo with strangers.  I'm trying to think how I can get past being acquaintances with you so we can get past the small talk phase.  It'll come.  I'm sure.  :)

In the meantime, I've got a recipe for ya. 

As novice baker, I try to follow the footsteps of the greats.  There are a few (as you've noticed) that I totally look up to in the baker's blog world.  And there's something that I've noticed about these bakers.  It is that they get their amazing recipes from almost anywhere including....food packets.  It is not the 'where' that counts but the final product, right?  So...that's what I did.  There was a chocolate brownie recipe that I've noticed on the packet of Champion Flour and I decided to try it out.

Apologies for the shaky photos.
I seem to have shaky hands these days.  
I'm wondering if I'm lacking in certain nutrition.  Hmmm...
 

This recipe is chock-full of cocoa and sugar (dang, it had a lot of sugar!) and I absolutely loved the texture of it.  A bit of moist and gooey with a crispy top...my kinda brownie, baby~ 
Enjoy.  :)

Wicked Chocolate Brownies
From Champion Flour packet
  •  200g room temp butter, softened (I used unsalted.  Packet didn't specify)
  • 1 1/2C sugar
  • 1C cocoa
  • 3 eggs - room temp
  • 1/2C standard flour (I sifted)
  • 150g roughly chopped white chocolate or 3/4 C roughly chopped walnuts (I used 3/4C of chopped macadamia nuts because it is what I had.  It was awesome but I would definitely add the chocolate next time)
  • Icing sugar to dust
  1.  Preheat oven 150 degrees C (about 302 degrees F) and grease a 20cm (about 8 inches) baking tin/pan.
  2. With an electric mixer on high speed beat butter, sugar and cocoa for 4-5 minutes until creamy.  (The batter will be super crumbly but it'll come together)
  3. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
  4. Stir in flour and chocolate (or nuts) and transfer mixture to greased baking tin.
  5. Bake for 1 hour or until the surface of the brownie appears cracked.  The centre should appear almost uncooked.
  6. Cool in the tin and cut into squares.
  7. Dust with icing sugar before serving.

6 comments:

  1. Thank's a heap for the reipe, i was looking all around the house for the bag of champion flour and couldn't find it.. i'm having guests for a mother's day dinner tonight.. it should be great.. thanks ^___^ x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I'm glad it worked. I was going to try this recipe but was unsure if baking powder had been left out by mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the best Brownie recipe ever. And just delicious with the white chocolate - I omit the nuts all together. I started baking it in about 2007 when I also found it on the Champion Flour packet. It is the only Brownie recipe I bake and swear by and I always get rave reviews from family and friends. Re the baking powder question posted 11 July 2010 - it is definitely not used in this recipe. Happy baking 8)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, I threw out the empty bag of flour with the recipe on. Thank goodness you had it.
    Love it

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing this recipe. my kids really love the taste when i follow your recipe, thanks again!

    Charenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much. Nothing better than a mid night treat!

    ReplyDelete