Saturday, January 30, 2016

Home-Made Home Fries


I didn't know that these were called 'home fries.'  May be my time in America or my American movie-watchin' have somehow dodged this term when referring to breakfast potatoes.  Glad I got that sorted.  I came across this recipe as I was perusing through pinterest for a solution for my leftover potatoes.  I guess boiling the potatoes before you cook them is a thing now as I've come across quite a few potato recipes that do that.  These were pretty awesome though and I would proudly serve this to brunch guests.  With the additional ingredients I added to the recipe, the potatoes had a burst of great flavors working together.  They were crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.  

Ingredient Variations:
  • I added mushrooms, garlic (about two teaspoons of minced garlic), and half a medium-sized yellow onion (diced).
  • For spices I used:  (all approximate)
    • 4 teaspoons of paprika (divided)
    • 4 teaspoons of chili powder (divided)
    • 2 teaspoons of black pepper (divided)
    • 2 teaspoons of salt (divided)
    • 2 teaspoons of dried mixed Italian herbs
What I did: 
  • I cooked the garlic and diced onions for about 2 minutes in olive oil before adding the potatoes and mushrooms to the pan.  
  • I cooked it for 20 minutes, turning it after every five minutes
  • I added the spice mixture (half of it) at the beginning and then the rest + the Italian herbs before the final 'flipping'
Note to self:
  • I would turn the potatoes more strategically next time so the potatoes crisp evenly.  So no aimless stirring but sectioned turning with a spatula.  ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment