Friday, October 22, 2010

Banana Butterscotch Syrup Cake






This happened to me.

But don't you feel bad about me.  The absolute deliciousness of this cake made up for it.  Big time.

I finally got off my butt to bake something out of my beautiful book: "Classic Cakes"  by the Australian Women's Weekly and, just as I imagined, the book did not disappoint.  My very first cake out of this book was a huge success, even though the cake decided not to stay in tact as a cake.

This is another classic 'moist' cake.  It freezes well and it stays moist all the way through for a long long time.
A note:  I used roasted walnuts (chopped of course) because I prefer them with my banana cakes.  They were gorgeous.  I know I say this a lot but trust me.  You want to bake this cake.

Banana Butterscotch Syrup Cake
from "Classic Cakes" by Australian Women's Weekly


  • 125g butter, softened
  • 3/4 C (165g) caster sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 C mashed banana (about 2 large overripe bananas) *I used 3 to get rid of all of my overripe bananas.  I kinda liked it!
  • 3/4 C (110g) self0raising flour
  • 3/4 C (110g) plain flour
  • 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 3/4C (110g) hazelnuts, roasted, chopped finely ( like I said, I used walnuts and they were divine!)
  • BUTTERSCOTCH SYRUP
  • 1/2C (110g) firmly packed brown sugar
  • 30g butter, chopped
  • 3/4 C (180ml) water
The Cake
  • Preheat oven to 180 degrees C/160 degrees C fan0forced.  Grease deep 19cm-square cake pan; line base with baking paper.
  • Beat butter and sugar in medium bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy.  Beat in eggs, one at a time.  Stir in banana, then combined sifted flours and soda, and nuts.  Spread mixture into pan; bake about 1 hour.
  • Meanwhile, make butterscotch syrup.
  • Stand cake in pan 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto wire rack set over tray.  Drizzle hot syrup over hot cake.
  • BUTTERSCOTCH SYRUP:  Combine sugar and butter in small saucepan; stir over heat until butter melts.  Add the water and bring to the boil, stirring; remove from heat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment