Have I convinced you yet?
This is Martha Stewart's recipe and I have to say, the lady knows her stuff.
A note about the dough. Although, I always try the dough before I pop my baking in the oven, I've never been a 'lick-the-bowl' kinda gal. I usually let the raw dough on my mixing bowl or whatever get washed away in the sink. But this dough - my goodness - I couldn't stop eating it!
It is velvety and shiny and quite irresistible.
Double Chocolate Cookies
Makes about 3 dozen (I made 2 dozen - but I made mine pretty big)
- 1 C all-purpose flour
- 1/2 C unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder (I used sweetened - which made the cookies turn out a tad bit sweet but it was still mind-blowingly awesome so I think it's safe to use whichever)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt (I skipped this cuz I used salted butter)
- 1/2 lb good-quality milk chocolate, 4oz coarsely chopped and 4 oz cut into 1/4 inch chunks (I used Whittaker's creamy milk chocolate and used 250g which is a bit more than the recipe calls for - if you can get your hands on Whittaker's USE THEM!)
- 1/2 (1 stick, 113 g) unsalted butter (I used salted)
- 1 1/2C sugar (I used caster)
- 2 large eggs - room temp
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 deg F/162 deg C.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside
- Melt 4 oz coarsely chopped chocolate with butter in a small heatproof bowl set over simmering water. Let cool slightly (I cooled it to lukewarm - close to room temp)
- Put chocolate mixture sugar, eggs, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until well combined. (I used a hand-mixer)
- Reduce speed to low and gradually mix in flour until just combined. Fold in chocolate chunks
- Using a 1 1/2 ice cream scoop, drop dough onto parchment0lined baking sheets. Leave 2 inch space between cookies.
- Bake until the surface cracks - about 15 minutes. (I baked for 13 minutes in my oven). The cookies will be very soft to the touch and a little bit inflated when you take them out. It will deflate as you cool them on the pan. Let cool on pan for a few minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Can be stored airtight container at room temp up to 3 days.