Thursday, November 5, 2009

Double Chocolate Cookies

So. I was thinking about how I could introduce these cookies to you. I thought may be something poetic like - if heaven existed on earth, it'd be these cookies. Or something more tangible like if Brad Pitt were a cookie, he'd be these (even though for me comparing them to John Krasinski or Jimmy Fallon would be more accurate). But I couldn't make up my mind so I'm just gonna say it straight: These cookies are a-mazing. I think my taste buds were surprised at such level of goodness. They're still in shock. Really. Let me put it this way. Think of the best chocolate chip cookie you've ever had. You thinkin' about the gooey, chewy cookie? The one that makes your mouth water just picturing it? I can confidently tell you that these cookies will take that cookie down any day of the week.
Have I convinced you yet?

This is Martha Stewart's recipe and I have to say, the lady knows her stuff.
A note about the dough. Although, I always try the dough before I pop my baking in the oven, I've never been a 'lick-the-bowl' kinda gal. I usually let the raw dough on my mixing bowl or whatever get washed away in the sink. But this dough - my goodness - I couldn't stop eating it!
It is velvety and shiny and quite irresistible.



























Double Chocolate Cookies
Martha Stewart.com
Makes about 3 dozen (I made 2 dozen - but I made mine pretty big)
  • 1 C all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 C unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder (I used sweetened - which made the cookies turn out a tad bit sweet but it was still mind-blowingly awesome so I think it's safe to use whichever)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp coarse salt (I skipped this cuz I used salted butter)
  • 1/2 lb good-quality milk chocolate, 4oz coarsely chopped and 4 oz cut into 1/4 inch chunks (I used Whittaker's creamy milk chocolate and used 250g which is a bit more than the recipe calls for - if you can get your hands on Whittaker's USE THEM!)
  • 1/2 (1 stick, 113 g) unsalted butter (I used salted)
  • 1 1/2C sugar (I used caster)
  • 2 large eggs - room temp
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  1. Preheat oven to 325 deg F/162 deg C.
  2. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside
  3. Melt 4 oz coarsely chopped chocolate with butter in a small heatproof bowl set over simmering water. Let cool slightly (I cooled it to lukewarm - close to room temp)
  4. Put chocolate mixture sugar, eggs, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until well combined. (I used a hand-mixer)
  5. Reduce speed to low and gradually mix in flour until just combined. Fold in chocolate chunks
  6. Using a 1 1/2 ice cream scoop, drop dough onto parchment0lined baking sheets. Leave 2 inch space between cookies.
  7. Bake until the surface cracks - about 15 minutes. (I baked for 13 minutes in my oven). The cookies will be very soft to the touch and a little bit inflated when you take them out. It will deflate as you cool them on the pan. Let cool on pan for a few minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
  8. Can be stored airtight container at room temp up to 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment