Saturday, October 17, 2009

Apple Bake

Ah..the fun of enduring the fickle weather of this great metropolis. To be warm or not to be...to bucket down on thee or to shine down on thee...

Nevertheless, nothing's gonna snuff out my burning fire for baking yummy goodies. Not the cold nor the rain. No sirree~

And so, I present to you, my first apple bake. It all started with me buying a whole bunch of scrumptious lookin' apples. I had been enjoying the beautiful NZ apples the last month and was looking forward to these to be just as beautiful. But the batch I bought this time weren't nearly as sweet or scrumptious as its predecessors. So they've been sitting in my fridge for a couple of weeks and finally I found a fabulous recipe to rescue my apples: Smitten Kitchen's Breakfast Apple Granola Crisp.

As you can see in my pix that I skipped the granola because this was another spur of the moment baking. It was a 'let's use what I have' baking. So, I used orange mango lemonade instead of lemon juice and flour instead of cornstarch. They still turned out fabulous. I did use only half of the apples suggested by Smitten Kitchen (because that's what I had) but I didn't change the portions of any of the other ingredients.

These will be fantastic with yogurt for breakfast or just for snacking between meals. :)






















Apple Bake
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

  • 1.8lb apples, peeled, cored and cut into medium chunks
  • 2 tablespoons of lemon juice (I used mango orange lemonade)
  • 3 tablespoons sugar (I used granulated)
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch (I used a Korean brand flour which is used for coating tempuras - these are slightly seasoned flours with a bit of breadcrumbs)
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (or 200 degrees C).
  2. Mix apple chunks with all the ingredients in a 8X8 inch baking dish until evenly coated.
  3. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the apples are softened and bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment