Friday, August 14, 2009

Yogurt Marmalade Cake

Pioneer Woman - one of the earlier blogs I discovered when I embarked on this magical journey of baking. Pioneer Woman's recipes cast a spell on me. When I see a new recipe on her blog, I think to myself, I must must must make that NOW. It's not because of her pizzazz of writing. And it's not because of her photography - although she takes amazingly beautiful pictures. The charm about her recipes is her passion and love for what she makes. In almost all of her recipe entries she commands the readers to immediately rush into the kitchen and make whatever it is she made that day. She tells us that it's the bestest and that we'll regret it if we don't. And as someone who does not want to go through life counting regrets (no no, I want to count many many cake and cookie triumphs) I feel a strong compulsion to do as I'm told and make her recipes. So, when the time came for me to bake for my co-workers, I turned to this yogurt marmalade cake that I'd been dreaming about since its been blogged.
I. was. excited.

I graciously made some mistakes while making this cake. I overbaked. :( How come no one tells you this? I used a chopstick to test the cake and the chopstick didn't come out clean. So even though the top of the cake looked finished, I left it in the oven a bit longer and BAM~! it turned brown on me. :( :( :( The chopstick still came out wet when I poked the cake, but after it cooled, the interior of the cake was perfect. Tse! So, I guess with pound cakes, the cake testing method isn't always accurate? I should judge by the exterior of the cake? What is up with that?

I doubled the recipe since I was feeding a lot of people. I had a very loooooooooong deliberation about whether to double the baking powder or not. I had hesitations because I couldn't remember seeing any recipe with that many teaspoons of baking powder. I google-researched and decided to go with the four teaspoons of baking powder. It was fine. :)

Anyway, even with my little mistakes, the cakes turned out fantastic. They were delicious and well-received by my friends at work.
Peeps.
If I may...
In the spirit of Pioneer Woman...
I command you to make this cake...NOW!? please..???






Even with its browned sides...isn't it BEA-U-tiful???


Yogurt Marmalade CakeFrom Pioneer Woman

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 heaping cup of plain, lowfat yogurt
  • 1 C sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • 1/2 C Canola oil
  • Icing
  • 1/2 C prepared orange marmalade
  • 1/4 C yogurt
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray (or butter and flour) a loaf pan with nonstick baking spray.
  2. Sift flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside
  3. In a separate bowl, mix together yogurt, sugar, eggs, vanilla, lemon zest, and canola oil until just combined. Pour over dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not overbeat.
  4. Pour into loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes. Remove and allow to cool for a bit before taking the cakes out of the pan.
  5. While cake is cooling, pour marmalade into pan. Heat until melted, stirring occasionally.
  6. Add yogurt to pan and turn off heat. Stir to combine, then pour slowly over the top of the cake, allowing icing to pool around the side. (This will be an awesome sight)

No comments:

Post a Comment