Today, I made coconut rice pudding. yea yea yeah~ :D
Me love coconut in curry, cupcakes, cakes, chocolate (The Whittaker brand is amazing!), cookies, cold fabulous drinks and now in rice. The below recipe is adapted from allrecipes.com. I used the vanilla rice pudding recipe and made replacements with coconut cream instead of whole milk and shredded coconut instead of raisins (which I don't use in the vanilla pudding, anyway). I used 'light' coconut milk. I swear I bought this unintentionally. There are just too many of those low-fat and light stuff, I reached for this one by accident. I'm not against light or low-fat though. No No. I need to make sure the world knows this. My cereal is always served in super trim milk. I just prefer my sweet indulgences to be nice and sweet and fatty to compensate for all my healthy choices. With all that said the 'light' coconut milk worked like magic~ They were delicious.
Coconut Rice PuddingAdapted from allrecipes.com
- 140 g uncooked white rice
- 475 ml (2C) coconut milk or cream, divided
- 65g (1/3C)white sugar
- 2g (1/2 tsp) salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 shreded sweetened coconut
- 15 g (1 Tbsp) butter
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/2 C water to boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. (You can also use a rice cooker to cook the rice if you have that luxury)
- In another saucepan, combine 1 1/2 C cooked rice, 1 1/2 coconut cream/milk, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy (15-20min). Stir in remaining 1/2 C coconut milk/cream*, beaten egg and dessicated coconut. Cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly (very important). Remove from heat and stir in butter. Serve warm or chilled.