Monday, July 6, 2009

S'mores Brownies




So, here's another great concoction by one of my favourite baker bloggers "Joy the Baker" S'mores Brownies. S'mores is American. And luckily I've actually had an authentic s'mores in America with American marshmallows cooked on an American campfire. So. I deem myself totally qualified to make this divine creation.

I have to say, I was so, so, sooooooo excited to be making this. This is my second recipe tried from Joy the Baker.

  • 1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 C unsalted butter
  • 6 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped (I used bittersweet Whittaker chocolate - a very wonderful NZ brand)
  • 5 large eggs
  • 1 1/4 C dark brown sugar (I couldn't find 'dark' brown sugar so I used regular brown sugar...how dark are these anyway??)
  • 1 C granulated sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla essence
  • 1 C graham cracker, roughly crushed with your hands (I used Digestives as Kiwis don't eat graham crackers. I personally prefer Digestives over graham crackers for regular snacking, although, they are virtually the same kind of crackers)
  • 12 big marshmallows (Joy the Baker says she diced 6 additional marshmallows and stirred them into the batter and that these dissolve when baked. I didn't use these. I thought the batter was sweet enough as it is)
  • (I chopped up about 2 oz of chocolate and folded them in with the graham crackers because I like chocolate in brownies and also I'd bought an 8 oz chocolate bar, which means I had 2 oz left after melting the required 6 oz. :-P)
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter 9x13 inch baking pan with 2 inch sides. (butter bottom and sides with a brush) Combine the first 3 ingredients in a small bowl. Stire butter and chocolate in medium sized bowl over a heavy saucepan of simmering water. Stire chocolate and butter in this double boiler until melted and smooth.
  2. Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla in large bowl to blend. Stir in warm chocolate mixture, then dry ingredients. Fold in graham crackers. Pour batter into prepared pan. Dot with 12 large marshmallows. Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 30-40 minutes.
  3. Marshmallows will be browned and puffy but will deflate as the brownies cool. Cool for at least 20 minutes then slice with sharp knife, cleaning the knife with hot water if it gets too messy and sticky.
My entire house smells of brownies right now. I just cut them up and put'em in a container. It was so hard not to take a bite while doing this. Mmmmmm~~!! :)
The brownie was surprisingly not as sweet as I imagined. I mean, check out the sugar content! But the crackers were very plain so I think that balanced it out. I was really looking forward to a crispy bite of the crackers but they became like bread once baked. The marshmallows: Kiwi marshmallows are very different from the American ones so I was a little apprehensive about these but these added the unique flavour and fun to the brownies. I liked them. (edit: These are actually superbly sweet. A couple of glasses of milk should be in session when you're indulging in them.)

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure Joy the Baker is in my top 3 favorite food blogs, for sure! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup! Definitely one of my top for sure! :) I love yours too! I'm so excited you came to visit!

    ReplyDelete