Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Okonomiyaki




(A redo of Okonomiyaki blog entry)
I heard on one of the ted.com 'talks' that human beings are the only animal who can actually simulate experiences that hasn't happened yet - one of the reasons why we don't have a real 'mud' cake. It's because we can simulate the nasty taste without having to actually experience it. Something to do with the frontal lobe or whatever. :-P Anyhoo, as the theory of the frontal lobe goes, I was able to simulate the outcome of this recipe and knew I'd like this very much. And they tasted better than the simulation in my head, too. :)

Here's the recipe. You can be very creative with the recipe. They can probably be served in a hundred different ways. I've seen these sprinkled with chives, almonds, mayonnaise and thousand island.

Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pizza)
(Nicked recipe from 101 cookbooks)
  • 2C cabbage, finely shredded
  • 1C leeks, well washed and chopped (My GOODNESS, these were huge!!!! If I were a spring onion, I'd be soooooo intimidated by leeks.)
  • 2/3 C whole wheat pastry flour (or apf flour) - I used "Korea pancake mix flour" - different from a regular pancake mix. This mix is used for Korean veggie pancakes (e.g. kimchi, chives etc). I used this cuz I reeeeallly love these Korean pancakes and the taste of this flour.)
  • A couple of pinches of fine grain sea salt
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1+ Tbsp olive oil
  • Garnish: toasted silvered almonds, chives/herbs
Here's what you do:
  1. Combine the cabbage, leeks flour, and salt in a bowl. Toss until everything is coated with a dusting of flour. Stir in the eggs and mix until everything is evenly coated.
  2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add a generous splash of olive oil.
  3. Scoop the cabbage mixture into the pan, and using a metal spatula press it into a round pancake shape, flat as you can get it. Cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the bottom is golden.
  4. To flip, the okonomiyaki, slide it out of the skillet onto a plate. Place another plat on top and flip both (together) over. If you need a bit more oil in your skillet, add it now, before sliding the okonomiyaki back into the skillet.
  5. again press down a bit with a spatula and cook until golden on this side - another 3-5 minutes.
  6. When you are finished cooking, sprinkle with toasted almonds and chives, and slide it onto a cutting board to cut into wedges. Enjoy immediately.
  7. Serves 1-2

2 comments:

  1. This sounds fantastic. Cabbage is one of my most favorite veggies, and your cookies below, may I have some with my coffee?? They sound even better!! And they look incredbly amazingly delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Donna! Yeah, I love cabbages. Yum Yum~! :) The cookies below are definitely fun to make - if you've got a food processor and a stand mixer. ;)

    ReplyDelete