The first time I saw this on Martha Stewart's site, I drooooooled and had to sit on my hands so that I won't run off and bake these. Finally, last night, I got to bake these gorgeous cookies. Aren't they gorgeous? :)
Have you met my hand mixer, yet?
This is my bestest friend in the kitchen.
I plan on buying a stand-mixer in the future
but this one will always remain to be my very first mixer.
'Firsts' are some serious stuff.
First hand mixer... :) hee hee
These cookies are very honest. Half of the flour used in this recipe is bread flour and like a good ol' honest cookie, the bread flour is very evident when you take a bite. The bites were quite a mouthful. Thsee cookies aren't famously "crispy on the outside and chewy, gooey on the inside." But it's got its own charm, I'd say. If I were to personify them...I'd use the word...manly..?
They were gone in approximately two minutes. I only got to have two cookies. But I'm very happy with that. :) I find the best part about baking is watching others enjoy the goodies.
Jacques Torres Chocolate Chip Cookies
*I halved this recipe.
- 1 lb unsalted butter
- 1 3/4 C granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 C packed light-brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 C plus 2 tablespoons pastry flour
- 3 C bread flour
- 1 Tbs salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbs pure vanilla extract
- 2 lb Jacques Torres House chocolate or other best-quality semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (60% cocoa)
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Reduce speed to low and add both flours, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla, and chocolate; mix until wel combined.
- Using a 4 oz scoop for larger cookies or a 1 oz scoop for smaller cookies, scoop cookie dough onto prepared baking sheets, about 2 in apart. Bake until lightly browned, but still soft, about 20 min for larger cookies and about 15 min for smaller cookies. Cool slightly on baking sheets before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.